Published On:
, | by Ayaan Maqsood

Malik scheduled 48-hour hunger strike from Friday

SRINAGAR; 22, May 2013: Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik will start his 48-hour long hunger strike from Friday against human rights violations in Kashmir.

According to a JKLF statement the hunger strike that will start at 3 pm will be attended by the kith and kin of martyrs, prisoners, lifers, people who have been killed in fake encounters, people who are missing in custody, people who were brutally killed by Indian forces and a large number of well wishers of martyrs.
“Intellectuals, doctors, lawyers, writers and people from other walks of life will also join the protest,” it said.

Deliberating upon the necessity of this hunger strike Malik told “On one side our people are hanged secretly and even their bodies are not returned to their bereaved families and on the other side a complete ban has been imposed on every protest.”

He said that on May 3, JKLF had announced to hold 48 hour long hunger strike at Jantar Mantar “but our peaceful protest met with a unilateral state terrorism of Indian authorities.”

“Our hunger strike was banned and we were pushed back out of Delhi. This is a glaring example of intolerance and unilateral state sponsored violence. Through this peaceful hunger strike protest we will raise our voices for the martyrs, for returning back the mortal remains of Shaheed Mohammad Maqbool Bhat and Shaheed Mohammed Afzal Guru. We will also show our solidarity with those families whose loved ones were taken into custody by Indian forces and are missing in custody. We will raise our voices for those who are languishing in Indian jails. We will show our concern for those who have been sentenced to life and are languishing in jails from a long time. We will show solidarity with those who were killed in fake encounters and dubbed as foreign militants. We will show our sympathies and raise our voices for those who remain buried in unmarked graves. And we will raise our voices against AFSPA, PSA and other black laws like these,” he added.

Malik hoped that the protest will open the eyes of people whose conscience is still alive and “we are sure that India will surely have to stop these atrocities and respect the human rights of Kashmiri’s.”

Meanwhile, JKLF continued its fund raising campaign for the earthquake victims of Chenab valley today. Malik met several people in this connection and Rs one lakh and 28 thousand were collected today. A total of Rs 11 lakh and 74 thousands have been collected so far, the JKLF statement said.

About the Author

Ayaan Maqsood - Correspondent Kashmir Informer.

Related News

No comments:

Leave a comment

Add Comment here

    E-paper

    E-paper