124 minors detained at juvenile home since 2011
SRINAGAR; 03, Sep 2012: The 12-yr old, Faizan, was the 124th minor, detained in juvenile home at Harwan on the city outskirts here since its inception in 2011, officials told on Sunday.
They said most minors lodged in the juvenile home since 2011 hailed from Srinagar’s old city areas.
Last week, police had arrested Faizan for allegedly setting ablaze Rakshak vehicle on the Eid day last month. He was booked for waging war against the State, attempt to murder, causing damage and many other Acts.
Officials revealed that out of 124 minors, 99 were detained on charges of stone pelting; five were on murder charges while three were booked on rape charges and 17 were detained for theft.
They said the most minors allegedly involved in stone pelting and street protests were booked by Police Station M R Gunj and Nowhatta.
Talking to Media Superintendent of juvenile home, Ghulam Ahmad Manphoo, said no record about detention of minors was maintained before the setting up of juvenile home here. “Before setting up of juvenile home, a good number of minors were detained on the charges of stone pelting. They were kept in the jurisdictions of respective police station and were later released.”
A senior police official said that during the 2008 and 2010 lot of minors were detained for stone pelting. “But no record was maintained,” he added.
They said most minors lodged in the juvenile home since 2011 hailed from Srinagar’s old city areas.
Last week, police had arrested Faizan for allegedly setting ablaze Rakshak vehicle on the Eid day last month. He was booked for waging war against the State, attempt to murder, causing damage and many other Acts.
Officials revealed that out of 124 minors, 99 were detained on charges of stone pelting; five were on murder charges while three were booked on rape charges and 17 were detained for theft.
They said the most minors allegedly involved in stone pelting and street protests were booked by Police Station M R Gunj and Nowhatta.
Talking to Media Superintendent of juvenile home, Ghulam Ahmad Manphoo, said no record about detention of minors was maintained before the setting up of juvenile home here. “Before setting up of juvenile home, a good number of minors were detained on the charges of stone pelting. They were kept in the jurisdictions of respective police station and were later released.”
A senior police official said that during the 2008 and 2010 lot of minors were detained for stone pelting. “But no record was maintained,” he added.
No comments: