TAHIR SOFI's KILLING; 'District administration misled SHRC'
BARAMULLA: 20, Sep 2013: Family of Tahir Ahmed Sofi of Baramula who was allegedly killed by 46 RR of in March this year on Thursday alleged that district administration is persuading them to accept an ex- gratia of Rs 5 lakh and drop their demand of making the probe outcome public.
Family members of the deceased youth told that district administration has even misled State Human Rights Commission and has dispatched them a letter in which the administration has claimed that the family of Tahir Sofi had accepted Rs 5 lakh as compensation.
“ We were shocked to see the letter forwarded by district administration to SHRC. The administration has provided wrong information to the Commission. We don’t want compensation but punishment to the killers,” they said.
“ Additional District Commissioner Baramulla who was heading the probe submitted his report to the administration on June 28 and since then we don’t know anything about it. We tried to know the outcome of the probe by filing an application under Right to Information Act, but the reply we information cannot be provided due to security reasons,” the family said.
They said that they even approached the Court and sought explanation from the government and Commanding Officer, 46 RR, Dalbinder Singh. “ Probe should be made public and guilty should be punished. We cooperated with the government and now it is the time for the government to deliver the goods,” the family members said.
When contacted, Deputy Commissioner Baramulla, Ghulam Ahmed Khawaja said that he received the report in a closed envelop and forwarded it to the Home Department without going through it.
Special Secretary Home, Dilshada said that the report is lying with Additional Secretary Home, Arshid Ayoub.
Ayoub said that he is not aware about any such report. “ I don’t know anything about this report. What can I say when I don’t know anything about it,” he said. (CNS)

No comments: